Lake Zurich's Christmas Tree Lighting Tradition Continues on December 5th, 2020.
Holiday festivals to continue in Lake Zurich--SERVPRO is there to help with any storm-related conditions
The Miracle on Main Street Event is Going Ahead as Planned for Lake Zurich Residents.
Between 3 pm and 7 pm, residents of Lake Zurich can gather to enjoy the Christmas tree's annual lighting on Main Street. This year's festivities feature a mammoth 35-foot display tree alongside a Santa's Grotto, Reindeer, and live entertainment. The village of Lake Zurich and the Lake Zurich Chamber of Commerce are combining once again to sponsor this festive calendar-filler alongside many other local businesses. Volunteer positions are open from now for residents to help deliver an unforgettable upbeat opener on Saturday afternoon. To get involved with sponsoring for this event, residents or businesses can contact 847.540.5068 for details. Volunteers can register online.
- Hot food vendors alongside beers and adult drinks are served throughout the day.
- Live entertainment includes the Academy of Performing Arts.
- Children's crafts, Santa, reindeer, and Mrs. Claus are all a part of this memorable family occasion.
If extreme weather conditions cause damage to your home or business, it is essential to bring professional assistance quickly. Contact SERVPRO of Buffalo Grove / Lake Zurich at (847) 279-1940.
Stop Soots and Smoke Odors From Harming your Business.
Fire damage to your Buffalo Grove commercial building? No Problem--Just Call SERVPRO for cleanup and restoration
SERVPRO of Buffalo Grove / Lake Zurich Can Help Get Back your Business After a Fire Emergency.
In the North West of Chicago, Illinois is Buffalo Grove. Close to both Lake Michigan and the North Shore, the city suburb has a population of around 40,000 residents and represents the 8th congressional district. Each summer, this close-knit community comes together for two huge events. The Buffalo Grove Invitational Fine Arts Festival attracts around 30,000 visitors a year to the town center. The Buffalo Grove Days festival occurs between Deerfield Road and McHenry Road with a carnival of live music, rides, food trucks, and fireworks. Throughout the year, many activities focus on Northwestern Lakes County with visits to the Park District, which offers aquatic sports, golfing, hiking, dance, and youth programs.
The Lakes County District of Illinois offers fun outdoor activities for all seasons. Throughout the year, visitors and guests enjoy hiking, boating, and biking trails. In the winter months, skiing and ice fishing make up an excellent winter program. There are over 170 lakes and rivers worth exploring. The Lake County Preserves is a wildlife enclosure that spans a stunning 31,000 acres. These natural wonders are married up with an excellent shopping district in the Gurnee Mills or Hawthorn Mall that offers bargains, foods, and drinks. Mulled wine and craft brews are served as regular winter warmers while the cocktails are served on the Illinois Beach State Park in the summer. Buffalo Grove provides excellent access to the great outdoors with comfy and cozy holiday apartments and hotels.
- Craft breweries are a local delight that is well-worth sampling with any visit to the North-West Coast. The Lake County Libation Trail offers a tour of the numerous unique breweries that give Buffalo Grove its flavor. Highlights include Buffalo Creek Brewing, Bosacki's Brewery, and Half Day Brewing Co. If you are looking for something lighter, head to Copper Fiddle Distillery on Main Street, Lake Zurich.
- Learn from Buffalo Grove's unique heritage by visiting the National Museum of the American Sailor on Sheridan Road. Alternatively, take a trip to the Wildlife Discovery Center in Lake Forest for a unique take on birds of prey, turtles, and rattlesnakes. A light-hearted adventure awaits at the Volo Auto Museum. This exhibition hosts famous cars from Hollywood, including Back to the Future's time-traveling Delorean!
Finding things to do in Buffalo Grove, Illinois.
Buffalo Grove offers activities for all ages and interests. Whether thrill-seeking at the local theme parks, visiting the local shopping districts, or taking guided tours for Chicago's famous deep-dish food-outlets, there is something for everyone in this Lakes County Suburb. For those of us interested in Chicago's connection to the mob, there are two excellent tours, including the Criminals and Gangsters Bus Tour as well as the Gangsters and Ghosts Tour. Buffalo Grove pairs together the unique heritage of Chicago and its modern-day identity as a must-visit area.
- For family theme park fun, visitors to Buffalo Grove can head straight to Six Flags Great America with rollercoasters and its very own waterpark. Alternatively, view the Chicago skyline in all its miniature glory by visiting the Legoland Discovery Center.
- A short, 45-minute trip downtown is well worth it for Chicago Favorites- Food Tasting and Walking Tour. The tour walks at a leisurely pace through Chicago's finest eateries. Free meals include legendary deep-dish pizzas and hotdogs. The tour runs alongside the river, passing both the Millenium Park and the Chicago Theater.
- The Woodfield Mall is among the biggest in the United States, hosting over 300 boutiques, stores, international brands, and restaurants. Among the favorites is the Cheesecake Factory, which offers sweet, traditional American desserts. Global choices include Chang's China Bistro and Uncle Julio's. Woodfield Mall is also home to Legoland's Discovery Center.
- Northwestern University is celebrated all over the US and sits right along the banks of Lake Michigan. This center for academic excellence was founded in 1855 but blends historic buildings with modern architecture. The Arts Circle is open to the public and features collections from Andy Warhol and Albrecht Durer.
- Gain a solid understanding of Buffalo Grove's heritage by visiting the award-winning Raupp Museum. There are over 3,000 exhibits to explore, which track this village's growth from its inception as a dairy farming community in the 1840s to its incorporation as a village in 1958. The highlights of this set of exhibitions are the social history permanent exhibit, which features in the main gallery and explores the chronology of Illinois traditions- some of which remain to this day.
Businesses in Buffalo Grove Can Use Local, Professional Restoration Services to Tackle Soot and Smoke Damage in their Premises.
A fire on your premises could cause extensive staining of walls, ceilings, furniture, and structure.
SERVPRO can provide round-the-clock restoration services for businesses in need of a fast turnaround. Our team of technicians has a diverse skill set, including specialist services like leather cleaning technicians (LCT), Odor Control Technicians (OCT), and Applied Structural Drying Technicians (ASD.) If your premises suffer severe fire losses, our team of general construction trained technicians (OSHA) can guide the recovery and provide a detailed breakdown of expected timeframes and costs. We operate twenty-four hours a day for commercial properties.
- SERVPRO crew chiefs have the experience to know when to restore on-site and when your business may benefit from a temporary move-out. Your business contents can be safely stored for the duration of restoration at a climate-controlled warehouse.
- We offer crew chiefs and production technicians who can quickly sort through the property to determine salvageable and non-salvageable items. This process can help to reduce the overall period of restoration.
- Expert training in various specialty services can help businesses recover to a preloss condition without the hassle of dealing with third-parties and subcontractors. Our project managers and crew chiefs communicate directly with the property manager throughout the restoration.
If a fire in your business premises affects trading, contact SERVPRO of Buffalo Grove / Lake Zurich at (847) 279-1940.
Free Meditation & Dharma Sharing Meetings in the Buffalo Grove Area.
SERVPRO is looking forward to seeing you at the Meditation & Dharma sharing meetings.
Expand Your Knowledge of Buddhism While in Buffalo Grove Through the Chicago Meditation Group’s Convenient Weekly Meetings.
Developing more as a Buddhist takes time and effort. It also helps to have a knowledgeable community to support you in your pursuit of greater understanding. Unfortunately, having the time to find teachers and like-minded people in Buffalo Grove is often a major obstacle to advancing your Buddhist knowledge. Luckily, the Chicago Meditation Group is a dedicated local community that is here to help. On Saturday, November 7th, the group is hosting an online gathering. Key details about this gathering and other weekly meetings are as follows:
Sessions begin every Saturday at 3:45 PM.
The November 7th online session can be joined via Zoom.
There is no cost to attend, and beginners are welcome.
Dharma topic sharing and discussion the 1st Saturday of every month
Find out more about these meetings at the Chicago Meditation Group's website.
SERVPRO of Buffalo Grove/Lake Zurich celebrates the remarkable diversity of our community and is always here to help its residents. Whenever you need water damage mitigation, we have the right training and equipment to do the job right. Call us at (847) 279-1940 for assistance.
Why Should You Choose a Safety Conscious Mold Removal Company?
Mold can hide anywhere in your home. Inspect your home often for signs of mold.
Which Safety Measures does Your Lake Zurich Mold Removal Company Take?
A fungus is something you do not want in your Lake Zurich home, but unfortunately, almost any house can fall foul of it. Because mold spores are naturally occurring, they can enter your house through the doors and windows or on your shoes and clothes. Once inside, they can start growing mold mycelium if they find the right conditions.
It is better to look for a mold removal company in Lake Zurich rather than deal with the mold yourself. DIY mold remediation is not a good idea because:
- Mold can cause health effects.
- Some commercially available cleaners, and bleach, can make the problem worse.
- It is not enough to wipe away surface mold – you need to dry out any moisture too.
There may be a risk of structural damage from mold eating into wood or plaster in more extreme situations. If there is a lot of moisture present, such as from a leak, and it reaches the electrical outlets, there is an electrical risk.
What health and safety measures does SERVPRO take?
We train our techs to the Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) safety standards. We also ensure our teams:
- Carry out a risk assessment before starting work
- Use appropriate personal protective equipment, including gloves, bodysuits, and respirators
- Apply antimicrobial products if needed to kill spores
- Set up containment around the affected area
How does containment aid health and safety?
Containment means using thick plastic sheeting (typically 6-mil), wooden frames, tension-loaded pipes, and tape to seal off the affected area, which reduces the treatment area and expedites the mold remediation process in Lake Zurich. We also seal off vents, doors, and windows. Containment stops spores from escaping and reduces the risk of them settling elsewhere in your home. We can also set up negative air machines or air scrubbers inside containment to capture mold spores and prevent them from re-entering the air.
What about decontamination areas?
Decontamination areas give our technicians a place to remove personal protective equipment (PPE) and dispose of contaminated items, to protect the rest of your home.
Can you do anything to stay safe while waiting for us?
The best thing you can do is stay away from moldy areas and not risk disturbing the mold. Please wait for us to arrive and let the professionals deal with it safely and efficiently.
For effective mold removal, call SERVPRO of Buffalo Grove / Lake Zurich at (847) 279-1940.
What Kind of Damage Can Flooding Do to a House and What Can Be Done About It?
Flooding in your home can be frustrating and scary, let SERVPRO help assist you with your Buffalo Grove home.
Flooding Can Wreak Utter Havoc on Your Buffalo Grove Home and the Best Thing You Can Do About It is Call a Good Flood Damage Remediator.
Buffalo Grove, like many other northwestern Chicagoland communities, often seems like the setting of a John Hughes film. Its idyllic suburban atmosphere, with its tranquil ordered greenery, can trick local homeowners into thinking disasters could never happen in their fine neighborhood. Unfortunately, this is not the case and springtime flooding is a fairly common occurrence here.
What Usually Causes Flooding in Our Town?
Flood damage in Buffalo Grove generally results from the effects of heavy spring rains that annually impact the Midwest region. These swell the nearby Des Plaines River and overflow local ponds and creeks. Since our area is mostly flat, this excess water quickly rises to levels that affect local homes and businesses. Gutters and town drainage networks clogged by everyday debris and yard waste can further exacerbate the situation. Also, matters are not helped by the fact that many homes surround lakes that can rapidly spill out onto nearby lands and inundate these residences. Whenever this happens, it is necessary to call an experienced flood damage cleanup and restoration service like SERVPRO.
How Do the Standing Waters of a Flood Affect Your Home?
SERVPRO professionals have seen all the various effects of standing floodwaters on houses and their contents. Some of these develop almost immediately after flooding occurs, while others take time to present themselves. A few common issues resulting from standing floodwaters are:
- Buckled or collapsed floors
- Warped walls
- Disintegrating drywall and plaster
- Discoloration or corrosion of surfaces
- Dirty water that is trapped behind walls and in other difficult-to-access areas
- Backed up sewage systems
All of these severe problems require the assistance of trained professionals that know what they are doing. Otherwise, major mistakes could be made that would likely waste both your time and money.
Is It Possible to Save Household Contents Impacted by Floodwaters?
Most times, contents coming into contact with floodwaters are not salvageable. This is because floodwaters are considered to be the most contaminated type of water. As such, they are usually filled with the most hazardous pollutants like dead bodies and animal carcasses, human and animal wastes, toxic chemicals, trash of every kind, and dangerous microbes. With that said, however, SERVPRO is sometimes able to save expensive Persian rugs and other irreplaceable valuables damaged by floodwaters. We do this by employing innovative methods, industrial-grade washing and drying equipment, and enzyme and chemical-free soaps.
What Effect Do Flood-Borne Microbes Have on Your Home?
As previously noted, floods bring with them harmful microbes. These microorganisms, as you can imagine, could affect your property in many negative ways. The effects vary in severity and can impact everything from the superficial aesthetics to the structural integrity of your house. Some of the most notable of these effects are:
- Mold/mildew stains and other discolorations on floors, baseboards, walls, and ceilings
- Strong musty or otherwise foul odors that are difficult to neutralize
- Dry rot that develops over time and undermines the structural integrity of your residence
- Harmful bacterial growths that could cause health effects
It is important to realize that each of these potential issues becomes much more likely the longer you wait to have your home remediated. Moreover, if these effects already do exist, they usually only get worse over time if not properly addressed.
How Does SERVPRO Resolve the Various Effects of Flooding?
Your neighborhood SERVPRO has the necessary expertise and all the latest state-of-the-art tools to successfully resolve your flood-related issues. For years, we have tackled numerous problems associated with standing floodwaters and the dangerous microbes they generally carry. Our technicians have done this with:
- Powerful extractors and pumps that rapidly remove gallons of standing water from structures
- Professional hazardous waste disposal methods that are safe for residents and the environment
- Advanced high-velocity fans, air movers, and dehumidifiers that quickly reduce interior humidity to normal levels
- Cutting edge Injectidry systems and floor pads that can remove water from difficult-to-access areas behind ceilings and walls, as well as under floorings
- Sanders and specialized methods for handling floor warping and buckling
- Expertise in and specialized equipment for full reconstructions of destroyed structural elements
- High-tech foggers that can fill impacted air and materials with EPA-approved antimicrobials and deodorants
Using all of these impressive resources, SERVPRO experts are usually able to return your home to its pre-flood condition in record time.
If and when flooding damages your residence, remember that all is not lost. There is high-quality help available nearby. Call SERVPRO of Buffalo Grove/Lake Zurich at (847) 279-1940 whenever you need our assistance in overcoming flood damage.
What Are the Threats of Surface Water on Flooring Materials in Lake Zurich?
Getting the remaining water out of your home after water damage is a difficult task. Contact SERVPRO 24/7 for remediation and mitigation services.
When water disasters impact your Lake Zurich home, our professionals can help with efficient extraction to protect installed construction materials.
Understanding the destructive and devastating nature of standing water in your Lake Zurich home can express the urgency that homeowners should have when facing these circumstances. While different flooring materials can become impacted by these situations, each of these structural elements requires varying tools and techniques to resolve.
Because water cleanup in Lake Zurich homes means so many different tasks, it helps to have a versatile and well-trained staff like our SERVPRO team to help. Our inventory of recovery tools that arrives at the site with us can address standing water on the surface and any of the moisture that has gotten absorbed into the exposed material. Some of the approaches for popular flooring types include:
- Carpeting – Soft flooring materials are an everyday staple of area homes, and these coverings can be highly absorbent and easily damaged by standing water and saturation. Carpet wands, weighted extractors, and other tools can remove trapped moisture in these materials.
- Wood Flooring – Wood plank flooring can begin absorbing surface material quickly after exposure. With floor mat drying systems and other efficient evaporative techniques, we can prevent the need for tear-out.
- Tile – While porcelain and other tile materials are low porosity flooring options, grouted joints and seams along the walls can allow moisture and water under the tiles to break them loose.
What Extraction Tools Are Best for Unexpected Water Disasters?
Removing the water from surfaces can be one of the most efficient methods to prevent more significant property damage through absorption and deterioration. We can use multiple tools for this, including wet vacuums and submersible pumps.
Water restoration often cannot wait, so trust in the team that can get there right away. Give our SERVPRO of Buffalo Grove / Lake Zurich team a call today at (847) 279-1940.
Click here for more information about Lake Zurich.
What is Necessary for Water Mitigation to Deliver the Right Outcome in Buffalo Grove?
Water damage in your home can ruin many of your valued possessions. Contact SERVPRO for remediation and mitigation services for your property.
Buffalo Grove Homeowners Doing Water Mitigation can Let SERVPRO Handle the Process for Convenience
Although water plays a crucial role as a utility in your home, it can be destructive when it flows into unwanted areas. When an incident happens, you should consider taking immediate mitigation steps. If you do it properly, you can minimize the chances of a severe outcome. SERVPRO helps Buffalo Grove homeowners when such incidents happen.
What is essential during water mitigation in Buffalo Grove properties?
The leading aspect that influences the outcome of water mitigation exercises is the understanding the people involved have on how the approach differs from other restoration solutions. Since mitigation helps stop further deterioration, some of the essential requirements during the process include:
- Speedy execution of the process
- Ability to identify all problem areas
- Having the correct resources to handle cleanup
Our SERVPRO crews have handled mitigation processes for many years, giving us invaluable insight into how water affects properties. For instance, shortly after the incident happens, only the highly porous materials such as fabrics, upholstery, and carpets are affected. However, the longer it takes to remove the water, the more other materials are affected. Therefore, our technicians look for the fastest ways to respond to the incident, including:
- Moving items to limit exposure to water
- Increasing efficiency levels in the extraction of standing water
- Using advanced moisture detection equipment
How much effectiveness does speed add to the mitigation process?
A quick response can save you the hassle of fixing advanced problems such as mold, deep staining, and other significant forms of deterioration in materials. The use of sophisticated equipment can help make noticeable differences. For instance, when our technicians use extractors with sufficient vacuum lift, we can cut down the drying time by several hours or days.
SERVPRO of Buffalo Grove / Lake Zurich can help you handle water mitigation conveniently. Call us at (847) 279-1940 whenever a problem arises. We're Faster To Any Size Disaster.
Click here for more information about Buffalo Grove.
What Factors Impact Cleaning Buffalo Grove Homes After Fire Losses?
When it comes to cleaning up after a fire loss incident, there are several obstacles that professional restorers must face.
There are several potential obstacles to cleaning and restoring fire-damaged Buffalo Grove homes.
Cleaning up after fire damages is a vital process for your Buffalo Grove home, but it can be difficult to achieve without careful considerations and evaluations. Soot and smoke residues are standard with structure fires, but the type of soil and the most appropriate cleaning methods vary based on numerous circumstances. Factors that can impact the efficiency and efficacy of cleaning products and approaches include the type of residue, the affected material, and where these damages exist in the house.
Fire damage in Buffalo Grove can be anything from structural concerns to lingering odors in the house after extinguishment. One of the most substantial obstacles in the restoration of homes and businesses after a fire is smoke residues and soot adhering to materials, contents, and circulating in the environment.
How Does the Material Type Change Cleaning Approaches?
There are multiple factors specific to affected materials or burning materials that can impact the produced residue and make cleaning more difficult. When too many of these factors are working against our SERVPRO team's restoration professionals, it might be more cost-efficient to consider controlled demolition over restoration. Some of these modifying factors include:
• Porosity – This is a measure of how readily particles can penetrate a material. The greater a porosity rating, the more particles and odor molecules from combustion can become a restoration challenge.
• Age of Material – Aging materials are more sensitive to severe residue damage. Part of this has to do with a change in porosity as a surface degenerates over time.
• Softness – The composition of the material can change how readily soot and smoke residues can get removed. Soft materials can be more challenging to clean than hard surfaces like glass and porcelain.
• Material Burned – The type of material burned changes the kind of residue generated. Plastics and rubber create coatings that can easily smear, while wood and natural elements leave drier residues that are less stubborn.
Can Temperature Present Cleaning Obstacles?
Changes in the temperature of surfaces or the environment can impact how efficient cleaning approaches are. Our technicians monitor and modify temperatures when applicable for the shortest recovery times. This monitoring process must continue throughout the entire restoration and mitigation phases. Changing temperatures, such as rapid cooling, could cause hot oils in specific residues to leave behind a film.
• Heat of the Fire – Regarding cleaning, the higher the fire's heat, the harder surfaces generally are to clean for many reasons. Residues can be thicker, porous materials can become more damaged, and many other reasons.
• Charring – High-heat and direct flames can char or blister surfaces, making cleaning and removing residues impossible.
• Temperature for Cleaning – Warmer temperatures can be a benefit to chemical processes used in cleaning residues. Excessive heat can damage surfaces, however, requiring a balance for efficient chemical processes.
What Are the Types of Smoke Residues?
The combustion of various materials produces different residues to contend with on exposed surfaces nearby. Identifying the type of residue that must get cleaned is a more efficient approach to removing these soils than sample testing with different products and techniques. Each of these potential coatings presents its own specific obstacles to cleaning, making its determination vital for our team's responding professionals. The likely residues present in your home might include:
• Dry Smoke – Fast-paced combustion eliminates many fuels in your home like wood framing, flooring, and supports. High heat fires like these produce a thinner, chalky residue for our team to clean.
• Wet Smoke – Higher humidity and other factors can change the pace that combustion occurs and the speed of moving fires. Smoldering produces thicker smoke, which becomes a compromising residue on surfaces and contents.
• Furnace Puff-Backs – A small explosion in the oil furnace's combustion chamber can shoot ionized soot throughout the ducts. These residues appear as dark black spider webs in the corners of the room and around the vents.
• Protein Residues – Kitchen fires often result from the mismanagement of cooking appliances and surfaces, so when proteins are involved in the burning and combustion, a thick, greasy residue can adhere to exposed nearby surfaces.
When it comes to cleaning up after a fire loss incident, there are several obstacles that professional restorers must face. Our SERVPRO of Buffalo Grove / Lake Zurich team is well versed in various residue types and the hurdles that can make surface cleaning more challenging. Give us a call anytime at (847) 279-1940.
How Can My Lake Zurich Home Get Damaged by a Flash Flood?
Storms can bring floodwater and storm damage. The professionals at SERVPRO are always on call to handle your water damage restoration needs.
Flash flooding happens with little warning and can catch many properties off-guard with substantial damages.
Often, flash flooding results from torrential rainfall happening over a prolonged period, or multiple storms moving through the Lake Zurich area in quick succession. With the immense power of these natural disasters, homes within this moving water pathway can become severely damaged by its force. Understanding how your home could become affected by this natural disaster is essential to protecting your residence and occupants.
Flood damage for Lake Zurich from these disasters can take a toll on several areas of the house almost immediately. Houses with basements are often the hardest hit by flash flooding because these lower levels can welcome these powerful rushes of water. Homes with window wells leading to this lower level provide a direct path for both flooding and debris to reach the basement.
Homes without a basement are often constructed with crawl spaces, and these areas can also become damaged by standing water.Our SERVPRO team has multiple solutions for drying and cleaning out these areas of your home to minimize the need to remove and repair supports for the house in this crawlspace. Long-term solutions like encapsulation protect from future flooding by redirecting water elsewhere and preventing moisture damage to supports, joists, subflooring, and other materials with poly sheeting coverings.
How Does Standing Water Get Removed from the Basement?
Basements can quickly collect water when flash flooding occurs, as the force of these disasters can bypass the weakest defenses of your property. Standing water is a threat to structural elements, but also can allow for the spread of bacterial or viral pathogens collected through the path of the moving water. With solids and debris present in this basement water, extraction tools must be able to pass solids. Several of these options include:
- Wet Vacuums
- Trash Pumps
- Truck-Mount Pumps
Our SERVPRO of Buffalo Grove / Lake Zurich team is standing by to help with efficient extraction and cleaning solutions at (847) 279-1940.
Learn more about Lake Zurich.
My Buffalo Grove Gym Has A Sauna – How Can I Prevent Mold?
When mold damage affects your business, it needs to be taken care of fast. Contact SERVPRO to deal with the remediation process.
Understanding Mold Growth is the Key to Prevention in Your Buffalo Grove Gym
Buffalo Grove is a beautiful town with over 45,000 residents. And like towns and cities all over the US, many of these people enjoy going to the gym. Once the workout is finished, there is nothing like relaxing in a hot sauna, as long as it is mold-free.
Why Are Gyms & Saunas Susceptible to Mold?
Saunas are a fabulous way to relax and get rid of toxins in your body. Many gyms have either dry or wet saunas as part of the services they offer clients. A sauna is a perfect environment for mold. It has moisture, high humidity, and a food source. Most saunas have wood that mold loves. As a gym owner, you depend on steady clients for a reliable income. Discovering there is mold in either your equipment area, workout rooms, or steam rooms can impact that revenue if you have to shut down for cleaning and commercial mold remediation in Buffalo Grove.
What is Mold?
Mold is a fungus that develops as a multicellular thread-like structure known as hyphae. It reproduces through microscopic spores. These spores are in the air both inside and outside. There are over 1,000 different types of mold in the United States; many of them are harmless. What they all have in common is the need for a food source and moisture.
Some mold is beneficial. If it grows in the wild, it can break down dead organic material. Penicillin is a form of mold and conventional medicine. But when mold spores enter a sauna that supplies all its needs, it can cause damage to the sauna. Mold can cause health effects as well. SERVPRO technicians are well-trained in understanding commercial mold damage. They have their Applied Microbial Remediation Certification (AMRT).
How to Prevent Mold in Your Sauna
The water spray, steam, and sweat in a sauna create a breeding ground for bacteria and mold. If not cleaned suitably, it can lead to mold damage. You want to keep your gym operating and pass any health inspection codes required. Being proactive in the care of the sauna or steam room is a critical part of that. Here are some things you can to prevent mold infestation:
- Ensure proper ventilation – A cross-draft needs to flow steadily to make sure humidity is removed from one session to the next. Installing exhaust fans are suitable for this. Opening windows and doors helps too.
- Install a drain – When you put a drain into the floor, excess water flows out of the room. Whenever this happens, the area is easier to dry.
- Have towels available – Encourage clients to sit on towels and place them under their feet to absorb moisture.
- Use the right cleaner – Clean your sauna regularly with the correct sauna detergent. The right cleaning agent kills mold and bacteria before it takes hold and helps prevent future growth.
- Sunshine – if possible, place items like the benches in the sun periodically for thorough drying.
What if I have a Mold Problem?
If you see mold or smell it, you have a mold problem. In a sauna, you can not avoid future moisture, but you can prevent mold from coming back. SERVPRO has professional mold remediation technicians that can remediate the mold while maintaining your sauna’s integrity. Mold is not something you want to handle on your own. As a commercial property, you may also need to work with an Industrial Hygienist.
Mold Remediation with SERVPRO
Our expert technicians know how crucial it is to keep your gym’s door open. The most important thing to do is to get help fast. The longer the predicament goes unattended, the more it spreads. This means damage to walls, floors, and, eventually, the entire gym. When our mitigation team arrives, they take care of:
- Containment – We use various containment procedures, so the mold does not spread deeper into the gym. The techniques include negative air chambers, physical barriers, and negative air pressure.
- Air Filtration – Our professionals use specialized filtration equipment to CAPTURE microscopic mold spores in the air. This involves:
- Air Scrubbers
- HEPA Vacuums
- HEPA Filters
- Mold-Infested Materials – Dependent upon the amount of mold growth and the surface type, the mold remediation process varies. Antifungal and antimicrobial agents eliminate colonies and prevent the return. Porous material may need to be removed. This can include:
- Cleaning & Restoration – SERVPRO cleans any restorable items affected by mold. Soda and dry ice blasting can remove mold from surfaces and substrate. Different cleaning and disinfecting products are employed depending on the material involved. Fogging equipment aids the removal of odors.
This is just an example of what our mold remediation teams do when cleaning your sauna. Contact SERVPRO of Buffalo Grove / Lake Zurich at (847) 279 – 1940. Let us help your business keep doing business.